06 April 2008

Financial Planner Weighs in on Poor Service

The following email has reached my desk and I felt that it should be shared for all. It was sent to Investor Relations, as you would expect. It helps to underline the exact issue I described in the first POST:

TO: ???@nytimes.com (email address recorded but suppressed for privacy reasons)

"
Hello,

I spoke with you today regarding concerns with North
Carolina subsidiaries such as Sun Times and Hendersonville Times, to name two prime examples out of 4 identified.

Both as a personal investor and as a financial planner, I have concerns
over recent information from colleagues, my own employees in that area and now personal research involving reports that the local subsidiaries do not want delivery contracts for such things as the Wall Street Journal. And believe it or not, the actual New York Times.

As this provides additional revenue streams in an already competitive and difficult industry there are obvious concerns! I never take things at face value and have talked directly to my employees that emailed me, the Wall Street Journal and a few local subscribers. The Hendersonville Times did not return my call.

A source within the Wall Street Journal that deals with the delivery by such subsidiaries confirmed that, "Yes, the companies I mentioned are likely to have the contract terminated because there have been so many complaints by subscribers about delivery.". I was also told that, "These papers just don't want the contracts so they are not going to give the service needed.".

This was disconcerting to say the least. I also spoke with a long time Wall Street Journal Subscriber and NY Times subscriber, Mary Schneider. She told me that Mr. Luftis of the Hendersonville Times told her and her husband that "He did not have to even deliver their paper if he didn't want to.", This was said while Mr. Luftis personally delivered a "paper tube".

Because of weather conditions in the area and her paper being wet so often, she requested that it be delivered daily in a plastic bag. Mr. Luftis indicated to her that that would be to much trouble and he wasn't going to lose carriers over her or any other subscriber. The request was made via communications from the Wall Street Journal to the Hendersonville Times management.

I was contacted by her today, where she told me that even though she (a)lives on a paved road, (b) has a paved pull off (the same one that the mail carrier uses), (c) is not in any secure or gated community and (d)does not have any plantings or obstructions that Mr. Luftis had contacted the Journal and the New York Times and arranged for mail delivery since he is "unable to deliver the paper without it getting wet due to obstructions.". After close to 8 years of either her or her
husband as a subscriber they are among others that are seriously considering canceling their subscriptions.

Mr. Schneider said that he contacted Howard Huffman, a Director at Dow Jones who relayed his own concerns about the area. He also seemed to indicate that unfortunately, the whole area may be having to have their papers delivered by mail. Mr. Huffmans' direct number is 609.520.4765.

I have since obtained photos of Mrs. Schneider's delivery area and it is very clear that Mr. Luftis is simply not telling the truth and apparently simply does not wish to deliver her paper in a plastic bag. Like her, I can come to no other conclusion.

I am in the process of gathering information regarding other subscribers in Brevard which claim to be having similar delivery issues with that carrier. Others have been reported regarding the Sun Times, in the Asheville area.

It is very apparent that the carriers do not value the revenue stream and that concerns me greatly as I am sure it does you. Prior to publishing any of my own findings to my employees and customers I wanted to give you a chance to investigate the situation, satisfy people like Mrs. Schneider and of course to respond to me with more information.

Please feel free to contact me and I have also spoken with Mrs. Schneider who has given me permission to pass her contact information on if it would help.

Again, your assistance in understanding this is greatly appreciated. I respect your company and find this to be outside of anything I would expect you would tolerate.


Thanks,
Michael Strail "

I think the email above says it all....


HNW Investing, LLC

No comments: